AOL

Ron Torrella torrella@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Sun, 16 Oct 1994 17:02:10 -0500 (CDT)

On Sun, 16 Oct 1994 Tcoates@aol.com wrote:

> >May I add that America On Line software has been wreaking havoc on
> >mailing lists and newsgroups by making it very easy to misattribute
> >quotations, (I was at one time a victim) misdirect replies and do other
> >nasty things that are quite bothersome to the rest of us here in the
> >virtual universe. AOL has been very unresponsive, so that a crusade is
> >afoot to convince AOL users to find an internet access that is less
> >hassle for the rest of us.  You should be aware of this if such problems
> >arise here...

> >Israel Stein

> I have access to the internet through a university and AOL.  I
> choose to use AOL because it is much easier and fits my needs.
> Compuserv, Prodigy, ect.  must not be in the virtual universe either, Mr.
> Stein?  Does that mean the  PTG office in Kansas City (Compuserv) isn't
> in your universe?
>
> I can understand being frustrated with a problem with the software of
> AOL, but sometimes things happen we have no control over.  There are
> things we do have control over.  Attacking people and groups of people
> because they do things differently is something we can control.  Why
> don't you give it a try?

> By the way, I have been following some of your comments on other lists,
> and I hope you don't bring the same attitude here.

> Tim Coates, RPT
> University of South Dakota

I'd like to think PIANOTEK is a place where flame wars isn't going to be
tolerated.  I think, too, that assuming that a person who acts in a
particular fashion elsewhere in the virtual world is going to behave in a
similar fashion on a listserver is being a bit presumptuous.  Further, I
think comments such as Tim's unnecessarily prejudice others who may not be
familiar with the newcomer.

Perhaps becoming familiar with the "D"-elete command in the mode wherein
you select which email/article to read is the thing to do. Short of
ignoring posts from those whose opinions strike us as being unpopular or
annoying, perhaps it would be best to take up your grievances with
individuals in private.

Regards,

Ron Torrella
School of Music