AOL

Israel Stein istein@world.std.com
Sun, 16 Oct 1994 10:39:18 +0059 (EDT)

Mr. Coates,

No attack is meant or implied on users of AOL - only on a corporation
that provides troublesome software to its subscribers. It is hoped by
myself and others who have made postings on the subject that the
resulting pressure will convince AOL to fix the problem - at which point
all of us will be very happy to drop the subject. Until then AOL users
should remain aware of the problems they can inadvertently cause - and
the rest of us should watch for them. I'm attaching an informative post
on exactly what those problems are (they may not be relevant to this list).

As far as my "attitude" elsewhere, I have yet to receive any negative
comments from anyone - publicly or privately. My comments have sparked a
few spirited discussions - which I believe is good - and a few useful
private exchanges. There's nothing wrong with controversy. I have no
desire to engage in controversy on this list - I subscribe to it mostly
for information. Whereas where the public is concerned - as on the
rec.music.makers.whatever newsgroups - I feel it is important to prevent
misinformation, misunderstanding, etc. I am deeply conscious of the
potential problems that misunderstanding or misapplication of the advice
given out can cause and try to do my best to minimize the damage. What's
wrong with that? I have my opinions and preferences and so do others so
what's wrong with a public airing? So far it has led to a rethinking of
some long held beliefs both by myself and by others.

Again, I apologize if my comment was perceived as criticism of AOL users,
it certainly wasn't meant that way. AOL related info (with its sources)
follows my signature.

Israel Stein