concert hall humidity

Jeff Stickney jpage@selway.umt.edu
Mon, 28 Nov 1994 21:59:06 -0700 (MST)

The University of Montana purchased a Yamaha CF III Disklavier last
spring, and as a reaction to the usual backstage abuse (almost more of a
concern than what happens with humidity control) they had a box built for
protection.  They promised to build a room off the backstage area to
house two concert grands but, surprise, the funding fell through.  So we
have this wonderfully insulated box (not much bigger than the piano
itself) which sits on the concrete slab which is the foundation of
the backstage area.  The result is that no heat gets in through the
wonderful insulation.  I have been reluctant to put a heater of some kind
in the box for fear of baking the piano, so would appreciate any advice
on specific ways to do that (reply to me or the list as you want).
     The other alternative as I see it is to replace the "garage door"
with a door which would allow the air to circulate in the box.  The piano
would be protected from damage but not from "mother nature".  Thanks,
Richard, for opening up the topic, and thanks also for any replies of wisdom.

Jeff Stickney, RPT
University of Montana
jpage@selway.umt.edu