Copy of: concert hall humidity

Bill Spurlock, RPT 74077.3053@compuserve.com
Sun, 27 Nov 1994 22:42:09 -0500 (EST)

---------- Forwarded Message ----------

From: Bill Spurlock, RPT, 74077,3053
TO:   INTERNET:rwest@unlinfo.unl.edu, INTERNET:rwest@unlinfo.unl.edu
DATE: 11/27/94 8:38 PM

RE:   Copy of: concert hall humidity

Richard,

Regarding the question of storing a concert instrument in a climate controlled
box, then rolling it out onto an uncontrolled stage area: I feel that situation
is still better than having the instrument sit in a fluctuating environment all
the time. I service one piano in just that situation. Prior to setting up a
Dampp Chaser equipped box for off-stage storage, the piano was never on pitch
when I went in to tune it. Even if it was close to pitch, the unisons were wild
from the constant fluctuation. Now it lives in its box between uses, and has
finally settled down. I have it moved out on stage the day before I'm to tune
it, which sometimes causes small pitch changes. However, it always has an even
tuning pattern on it and so is much easier to tweak back to A-440. Here in the
Sacramento Valley we don't have nearly the seasonal humidity swings that you do
in the Midwest, so I've equipped the piano box with dehumidifiers only. This
eliminates any need for system maintenance, and keeps the piano from ever going
sharp. I suppose that a system could be adjusted to better follow the seasonal
swings somewhat, i.e. reduce the number or wattage of the dehumidifiers during
the humid season to make the box condition a little more like that of the
theater itself, then increase dehumidification during the dry season.

Bill Spurlock