Dehumidifiers

John Baird, RPT 71023.2217@compuserve.com
Sat, 26 Nov 1994 00:08:02 -0500 (EST)

On Nov. 24 Bill Springer wrote about finding pianos with unplugged D-Cs
when he has come for a tuning appointment. He will recommend that he plug
it in, then return in a week to tune, BUT:

>>If, against my advice, the customer insists an a tuning right then, my
job is difficult, and as soon as they plug the unit back in the tuning is
destroyed!!.<<

It's a judgement call whether to charge for your more difficult job, but
they should not destroy the tuning by plugging the unit back in soon.
Wouldn't it be better if they wait until a few weeks before the next
tuning to plug the unit back in?

I also have a problem with finding units unplugged in schools and
churches, and then left that way until I arrive.  A solution offered by
Craig Fehrenbacher works:  Make nice 4" x 6" signs with your computer,
maybe laminate them, and attached them to the piano or to the wall above
the receptacle, wherever visible.  People become aware that "This piano
is equipped with a humidity control system...."  Nobody sees the little
Dampp-Chaser stickers on the cord, but custodians, teachers, etc. see
this sign.  It works.

John Baird