Climate control systems in verticals

John Minor jminor@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Thu, 24 Nov 1994 10:31:53 -0600

[SNIP]
> Thank you, Tom, for your reply. That is precisely what I did. Of the two
> teachers (one has two pianos) one understood my concerns and is currently
> using both the humidifier and the Dampp-Chaser system. I suppose that's
> optimal humidity control.

      That's like the guy who wears suspenders *AND* a belt! : )

 The other is > depending solely on her Dampp-Chasers. Another client (a
doctor and very > fine amateur pianist) who got the Dampp-Chaser mailing
and discussed the > matter with me very quickly figured out on his own
what my concerns are > and opted to stick with his room humidifier.  > > >
Israel Stein

       Here in the midwest with sub-zero temperatures in the dead of
winter, most new homes are built with a humidifier built into the furnace.
With a direct water supply, and humidity control unit on the wall next to
the thermostat, it's almost "bozo proof"! The unit can also be ADDED to
existing furnace for a few hundred dollars. One problem I've encountered
though, is the humidistat control doesn't come adjusted properly from the
manufacturer. In other words, if you have it set to maintain 45% humidity,
it may well try to keep it at 35%. It takes a slight turn of the
adjustment screw in the wall-mounted control. I use to spend 5 minutes to
do this for customers, with a sling psychrometer for determining correct
moisture content. I told them that whole house humidification was the best
way to go because what's good for the piano is good for the person! : )

John Minor