Climate control systems in verticals

Israel Stein istein@world.std.com
Thu, 24 Nov 1994 10:26:46 +0001 (EST)

On Thu, 24 Nov 1994 t.seay@mail.utexas.edu wrote:

> >On Tue, 22 Nov 1994, David Porritt wrote:
> >
> >> flange bushings.  Like you, Tom, I don't use damp chasers unless it is
> >> truly an unusual circumstance.  (I had an Elementary school where the
> >> music room was right next to the cafeteria steam table.)  It's probaly
> >> been 4 years since I have had one in my hand.  Homes here with decent
> >> climate controls just don't need them.
> >>
> >> dave porritt
> >> SMU
> >>
> >Like you, Tom and David, I've tried to avoid those blasted contraptions,
> >advising my clients to use room humidifiers etc. But now Dammpp-Chaser has
> >started marketing directly to piano owners - complete with dealer
> >endorsements. So several of my clients have been clamoring for this
> >wonderful thing that'll keep their piano from going out of tune - and I'm
> >having one hell of a time trying to explain the downside... Just
> >installed them in three Steinway grands belonging to techers out of fear
> >of losing their business... Seems that filling up a humidifier every
> >couple of days is just too much trouble for them. Any ideas?
> >

> >Israel Stein
>
>         Just to be perfectly clear on the subject, I'm not saying that
> Dampp-Chaser systems should never be used; on the contrary, I think that in
> certain areas where the humidity swings are extreme, they are probably
> necessary and desireable (the Northeast comes to mind, from what
> technicians have told me).

I do not disagree with this - I have installed them in the past where
other means of humidity control would be ineffective or where
intermittent high humidity is a problem.  I prefer room humidifiers where
possible because:
1) I question the ability of Dampp-Chasers to preserve pinblocks in grand
pianos over the long term in environments of extreme low humidity.
2) I am concerned over what can happen if a Dammpp-Chaser is installed and
neglected by the owner - i.e. not filled (you'll be surprised how many
people ignore the flashing light) or pads not replaced. Of course I can
deal with the latter if I continue servicing the piano.

I just don't use them here in Central Texas
> because, based on my experience, they are generally not necessary.
>
>         Israel, there is not much you can do when your clients specifically
> ask for them to be installed, except to install them correctly and then
> educate your clients as to how they work, the upkeep involved, and, more
> importantly,  a realistic understanding of what they will do in terms of
> keeping their piano in tune. Perhaps you could explain that dehimidifiers
> don't really keep pianos in tune (technicians do that), but they * might*
> help stabilize climatic conditions to *possibly* maintain tuning stability.
>
> Regards,
>

> Tom Seay
> School of Music
> The Unversity of Texas at Austin
>
> t.seay@mail.utexas.edu

Thank you, Tom, for your reply. That is precisely what I did. Of the two
teachers (one has two pianos) one understood my concerns and is currently
using both the humidifier and the Dampp-Chaser system. I suppose that's
optimal humidity control. The other is
depending solely on her Dampp-Chasers. Another client (a doctor and very
fine amateur pianist) who got the Dampp-Chaser mailing and discussed the
matter with me very quickly figured out on his own what my concerns are
and opted to stick with his room humidifier.

Israel Stein