Climate control systems in verticals

David Porritt dporritt@sun.cis.smu.edu
Tue, 22 Nov 1994 15:02:50 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 22 Nov 1994 t.seay@mail.utexas.edu wrote:

> >I'm wondering if others have noticed temperature-caused pitch change
occuring
> >while tuning verticals equipped with Dampp Chaser rods, and if so how you
> >handle
> >it?
>
> This is the first I've heard of this particular problem. Our humidity
> doesn't change quite as drastically as it does up north, so we just don't
> have as many Dampp-Chasers installed in pianos down here.
>
>  >Has anyone found a way to deal with this
> >pitch drift problem while tuning? Unplug the system and adjust capstans for 15
> >minutes first?
>
> But if you did turn it off and adjust the capstans or whatever, wouldn't it
> go right out of tune the minute you turned it back on? Seems to me to be
> another good reason not to install the things in the first place, unless
> it's absolutely necessary. I wonder how many Dampp-Chasers are mistakenly
> installed to correct real problems such as tight key bushings or action
> centers, rather than correcting the problems themselves?
>
> Am I rambling? I think so...
>
> BTW, have any of you ever run across Dampp-Chasers installed *under* the
> pinblock in grands? Arrrrgh!
>

> Tom Seay
> School of Music
> The University of Texas at Austin
> t.seay@mail.utexas.edu

Yes, I've seen a 10 year old pinblock baked by this arrangement.  I had to
replace it with all that cost just because someone couldn't fix tight
flange bushings.  Like you, Tom, I don't use damp chasers unless it is
truly an unusual circumstance.  (I had an Elementary school where the
music room was right next to the cafeteria steam table.)  It's probaly
been 4 years since I have had one in my hand.  Homes here with decent
climate controls just don't need them.

dave porritt
SMU