Climate control systems in verticals

Thomas D. Seay, III t.seay@mail.utexas.edu
Tue, 22 Nov 1994 10:31:35 -0600

>I'm wondering if others have noticed temperature-caused pitch change occuring
>while tuning verticals equipped with Dampp Chaser rods, and if so how you
>handle
>it?

This is the first I've heard of this particular problem. Our humidity
doesn't change quite as drastically as it does up north, so we just don't
have as many Dampp-Chasers installed in pianos down here.

 >Has anyone found a way to deal with this
>pitch drift problem while tuning? Unplug the system and adjust capstans for 15
>minutes first?

But if you did turn it off and adjust the capstans or whatever, wouldn't it
go right out of tune the minute you turned it back on? Seems to me to be
another good reason not to install the things in the first place, unless
it's absolutely necessary. I wonder how many Dampp-Chasers are mistakenly
installed to correct real problems such as tight key bushings or action
centers, rather than correcting the problems themselves?

Am I rambling? I think so...

BTW, have any of you ever run across Dampp-Chasers installed *under* the
pinblock in grands? Arrrrgh!

Tom Seay
School of Music
The University of Texas at Austin