Cokes, pianos, disasters!

Thomas D. Seay, III t.seay@mail.utexas.edu
Fri, 18 Nov 1994 17:39:48 -0600

>        I need suggestions on what to do with students who place
>drinks on top of pianos! We have 15 or so new Yamaha verticals in
>practice rooms, and students seem to treat them like they are the
>same old junk we replaced!
>        There ARE new signs posted in most of the rooms stating no smoking
>or drinking, etc. I HATE asking people to remove their drinks from the
>pianos, especially the graduate students who should know better!!!!!!
>        Any comments are welcome!
>
>John Minor
>University of Illinois
>jminor@uiuc.edu

John,

        Why do you HATE asking people to remove their drinks from the
pianos? Which would you rather do, spend 10 or 15 seconds TELLING  a
student (especially Graduate students) to keep their drinks off the piano,
or spend  literally hours and hours repairing the damage? Be professional
about it, but let them know in no uncertain terms that drinks, food, etc.
will not be allowed in practice rooms, period, end of discussion.

Be tough, crack the whip! After all, you are ultimately responsible for
those instruments.