"Grandfathered Members"

PSLOANE@OCVAXA.CC.OBERLIN.EDU PSLOANE@OCVAXA.CC.OBERLIN.EDU
Fri, 18 Nov 1994 11:21:56 -0400 (EDT)

In an organization where standards for membership apply, especially when those
standards undergo a continuous scrutiny and gradual evolution to a higher plane,(boy, this is
beginning to sound heavy) "grandfathering" is inevitable. Retesting those grandfathered
in (let's say grandparented in) as higher standards for membership become
adopted will probably be a big waste of energy since the need for the higher
standards was likely recognized by those grandparented. For the few grandparented in that don't
recognize the need or refuse to even discuss it,
chalk it up to the inherent inequities in the democratic process and be thank-
ful that far more good can be accomplished by focusing on the positive elements
of change. As an influential teacher once said, "Don't cast your pearls before
swine"

The Guild tests are good. They are instructive by nature and objective. We have
dealt with the "grandparenting problem" in our chapter by getting the older
members    who weren't so rigorously tested involved in the administration of
the tests. That way, at least they are exposed to the educational aspect of the
tests.

Everybody have a nice Thanksgiving!  Ken Sloane, Oberlin Conservatory