diatribe--vin

Bob Simmons bsimmons@wiley.csusb.edu
Thu, 17 Nov 1994 18:22:32 -0800 (PST)

> <there are many technicians (RPTs) who*never* tested because the
> tests didn't exist.
> <...we have RPTs who by guild definition aren't RPTs.
>
> We had three part comprehensive tests before the standard tests came
> into being. Back then, you couldn't become a craftsman until you
> sucessfully passed all three tests, the same as it is now . These new
> tests do not invalidate the old ones by any stretch. So the ad
> running in the Piano & Keyboard magazine describes the old tests as
> well as the new ones. No need for a grandfather clause at all.
>
> vince

I may be mistaken, but it was my understanding that there are still a few
RPT's around who were never tested, because they got in around the time of
the merger which became the PTG. I do know, from personal experience, that
tests of times past, were not consistant from chapter to chapter, and
those I was experienced with were not of the caliber of the more
standardized one we now use. But, as Bill Spurlock pointed out, we have to
be realistic with what's available to us, in the way of resources. That's
disappointing, and does seem like a sort of false advertising when we say
an RPT has passed these exams, and clearly some have not.

Bob Simmons