Owen Jorgenson's Journal Article

Michael Wathen 556-9565 Michael.Wathen@UC.Edu
Wed, 16 Nov 1994 09:11:00 -0500 (EST)

Three cheers for Owen.  At last we have something in the Journal
from him!  This is the kind of thing that needs to be encouraged.

There are many persons out there that have good material and yet
for some reason they have withheld.  Speaking for myself I became
intensely frustrated with our past editor and had decided not to
contribute any more material until things changed.  I submitted
an article for publication in the Journal and it was not printed
until nearly two years latter.  I called him on the phone several
times to see what that scoop was.  I finally concluded that there
were two reasons that it took so long.  First, the editor
admitted that he had no idea what I was writing about and
secondly, he didn't know who I was.  I did repeatedly voice my
concerns to the powers.

In contrast, I find the pianolist server an invigorating outlet
and receptacle.  You can exchange ideas with a quick turn around
time and the whole discussion gains a momentum not possible in
print.  You can post things without knowing whether it is
entirely correct.  You can hypothesize and get all involved.  I
find that lately when I tune or do repairs I am thinking about
the various inputs I have received from the list.  It has made my
day to day work easier just because I have a lot of things that
are related to my work to think about.

Michael Wathen