The Wonderwand/Racquetball Connection

Ron Torrella torrella@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Fri, 30 Dec 1994 06:49:01 -0600

On Thu, 29 Dec 1994 t.seay@mail.utexas.edu wrote:

> Since Hale levers are no longer available, anyone know of a good extension
> lever they can recommend? I have an old Hale, but the handle has crashed &
> my feeble attempts at turning a new one leave a great deal to be desired.

Have you looked at the hammers Schaff offers?  My motivation for going
hammer shopping last year was to decrease the weight and length of the
tools in my box (I try to get along on a single box...).  APSCO's gray
nylon hammers were being poorly constructed (surprise....NOT!) -- the one
I got self-destructed in transit from them to me!

I finally got a short, wood-handled extension hammer from Schaff and I
really like it.  I think it shrinks down to about 6" or so and it's quite
light.

I'm not so sure the racquetball tip is something I need.  My tendency is
to not grip the hammer too much while I'm tuning.  I find that I use the
inside knuckle joints or the heel of my palm to jerk the pin around.  If
anything, putting on a neoprene wrap (like what they've been putting on
bicycle handlebars lately) around the handle may give my hand a break
during the biannual tuning spasms.  Anyone try that?

Ron Torrella                  "Dese are de conditions dat prevail."
School of Music                           --Jimmy Durante
University of Illinois