No subject

CRANE@TWSUVM.UC.TWSU.EDU CRANE@TWSUVM.UC.TWSU.EDU
Wed, 14 Dec 1994 08:32:43 -0700 (MST)

Date: 14 December 1994, 08:47:55 CST
From: CRANE    at TWSUVM
To:   LIST
Subject: JOURNAL cover...

  - - The original note follows - -

HI Michael!

I see what you mean about the effects of a dry match and good kindling!!
(Just kidding, and NO allusion to the current 'flurry' as any kind of
'flame' ! :)

I agree that the Journal cover art is a departure from the usual and,
certainly, would not be found on most of the 'scholarly' publications
one sees so MANY of.  Perhaps that is the point.  Unlike a large part of
the academic world, we piano technicians are not publishing to impress
others or to tout (?) our expertise and accomplishments.  We are
publishing to HELP and ASSIST each other (rather seasonal, isn't it?).
For the most part, our positions and our budgets do not depend upon our
published output and we do not have to compete for the chance to publish
in the most 'respected' and widely-read journals.  And, our JOURNAL does
not have to compete to be respected and widely-read.  This being the case,
perhaps we allow ourselves the luxury, from time to time, to hold up a
reminder that what is truly important is not the 'nuts and bolts' of our
profession which we normally picture on our JOURNAL cover but, instead,
where our hearts (and minds...sometimes :) are.  That "WHY WE DO WHAT
WE DO" is not due to the intrinsic value of the PROFESSION itself but
rather to the fact that we derive pleasure from our work and that the
work also enhances the enjoyment of life and the persuit of happiness
along other avenues as well.  It EVEN lets me buy presents for special
folk at various times of the year!
I agree with your sentiment, Michael (and all the rest of you out there
who haven't spoken up...hello...hello ?? :) but I think that is an
indication of my need to be 'reminded' as well!
Happy Holidays All (and to all a good night!:)

Alan Crane, RPT
Wichita State University
crane@twsuvm.uc.twsu.edu

PS.
    I don't want any of the preceeding anymore.
    Anyone can have any or all of it.
    Just make sure you wrap it in something with a classy cover ;)

    ABC