Copyright Info

John Minor jminor@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Sun, 04 Dec 1994 15:18:16 -0600

On Sat, 3 Dec 1994, Israel Stein wrote:

> > Copyright protection subsists from the time the work is created in
> > fixed form; that is, it is an incident of the process of
> > authorship. The copyright in the work of authorship immediately
> > becomes the property of the author who created it.  Only the author
> > or those deriving their rights through the author can rightfully
> > claim copyright.
> >
> > Copyright is secured automatically when the work is created,
> > and a work is "created" when it is fixed in a copy or phonorecord
> > for the first time.  "Copies" are material objects from which a
> > work can be read or visually perceived either directly or with the
> > aid of a machine or device, such as books, manuscripts, sheet
> > music, film, videotape, or microfilm.  "Phonorecords" are material
> > objects embodying fixations of sounds (excluding, by statutory
> > definition, motion picture soundtracks), such as cassette tapes,
> > CD's, or LP's.  Thus, for example, a song (the "work") can be fixed
> > in sheet music ("copies") or in phonograph disks ("phonorecords"),
> > or both.
> >
> (cut)
>
> That is all essentially correct, under the copyright act that went into
> effect on January 1, 1978. (I don't believe there were revisions since
> then - this was a major revamping of the law of 1909 or so.)
>
> We are, however, dealing with retention of copyright protection after
> publication of copies of the work. In order to retain copyright
> protection upon publication of copies one must:
> 1) Register the copyright.
> 2) Explicitly state on the copy of the work what rights one wishes to
> retain (thus the phrase "All Rights Reserved" which you see on books,
> records, magazine articles, photos, etc.)
>
> Publication means "dissemination of copies". Posting here can probably
> qualify as publication.
>
> The principle involved is that by publishing a work without explicitly
> retaining rights (via registration and appropriate notices) one is deemed
> to have "contributed" the work to the public domain.
>
> In other words, even though copyright protection  is secured
> automatically upon creation of the work, (i.e. article) it can be lost if
> work is published without explicitly secuiring the copyright by
> registration and appropriate notices. My source is a legal handbook for
> professional photographers. If this sounds like a whole lot of hair
> splitting - hey that's what lawyers do for a living.
>                             ^^^^^^^
> Israel Stein

OH DRAT!!!! NOW YOU WENT AND USED "THE 'L 'WORD"!!!! ; )

THERE WAS A SLIGHT CHANGE SINCE 1977. THE BERNE COPYRIGHT CONVENTION, 1988
ASSURES COPYRIGHT PROTECTION EVEN WITHOUT REGISTERING...READ ON FOR
DETAILS.

_____________
brad@clarinet.com (Brad Templeton)
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 1994 09:00:10 GMT
Newsgroups: news.misc,news.admin.policy,misc.legal.computing
Subject: Changes to "DRAFT FAQ: 10 myths about copyright explained"

Archive-name: usenet/copyright/diff1
Last-change: 19 Jul 1994 by brad@clarinet.com (Brad Templeton)
Changes-posted-to: news.misc

The following are the differences between two versions.
- indicates lines that were deleted in the new version,
+ indicates lines that were added in the new version.

+From: brad@clarinet.com (Brad Templeton)
+Subject: DRAFT FAQ: 10 myths about copyright explained
+Newsgroups: news.announce.newusers,news.admin.policy,misc.legal.computing
+Archive-name: usenet/copyright/part1
+Last-change: 19 Jul 1994 by brad@clarinet.com (Brad Templeton)
+Changes-posted-to: news.misc
+
+[This is a draft FAQ, proposed for inclusion in news.announce.newusers.  It
+has not yet been sent to news.answers for approval, so the Archive-name
+above is just a proposal.  After a few rounds of posting this as a draft,
+it'll be added to news.answers.  - netannounce@deshaw.com]
+
+           10 Big Myths about copyright explained
+                 By Brad Templeton
+
+
+     1) If it doesn't have a copyright notice, it's not
+     copyrighted.
+
+     This was true in the past, but today almost all major
+     nations follow the Berne copyright convention.  After April
+     1, 1989, everything created in the USA, for example, is
+     copyrighted and protected whether it has a notice or not.
+     The default you must assume for other people's works is that
+     they are copyrighted and may not be copied unless you *know*
+     otherwise.  There are some old works that lost protection
+     without notice, but frankly you should not risk it unless
+     you know for sure.
+
+     It is true that a notice strengthens the protection, by
+     warning people, and by allowing one to get more and
+     different damages, but it is not necessary.  If it looks
+     copyrighted, you must assume it is.
+
+     2) If I don't charge for it, it's not a violation.
+
+     False.  Whether you charge can affect the damages awarded in
+     court, but that's the only difference.  It's still a
+     violation if you give it away -- and there can still be
+     heavy damages if you hurt the commercial value of the
+     property.
+
+     3) If it's posted to USENET it's in the public domain.
+
+     False.  Nothing is in the public domain anymore unless the
+     owner explicitly puts it in the public domain(*).  Explicitly,
+     as in you have a note from the author/owner saying, "I grant
+     this to the public domain."  Those exact words or words very
+     much like them.
+
+     Some argue that posting to USENET implicitly grants
+     permission to everybody to copy the posting as much as they
+     like.  This is very probably wrong.  First, the whole
+     purpose of copyright is to provide protection to people
+     *after* they freely distribute it.  For example, George
+     Lucas still owns Star Wars after broadcasting it on free TV
+     or giving copies to lots of people.  Secondly, that argument
+     breaks down when one considers what it would mean for you to
+     post an MPEG of Star Wars to the net (other than some really
+     annoyed people with v.32bis modem feeds.)  All the copying
+     would still go on, but clearly without permission since you
+     -- unless you are George Lucas -- didn't have the right to
+     give permission to copy in the first place.
+
+     (*) It's also in the public domain if the creator has been
+     dead for 50 years.  If anybody dead for 50 years is posting
+     to the net, let me know.
+
+     4) My posting was just fair use!
+
+     See the notes on fair use for a detailed answer, but bear
+     the following in mind:
+
+     The "fair use" exemption to copyright law was created to
+     allow commentary, news reporting and education *on*
+     copyrighted works without the permission of the author.  In
+     this case, the "on" is important.  You must be commenting on
+     or reporting about the *work*, not the subject matter of the
+     work.  If you could have reported the facts in your own
+     words, but didn't to save typing, it's probably not fair
+     use.  If you needed to demonstrate something about the
+     actual work or writing, then it might be fair use.
+
+     Fair use is almost always a short excerpt and almost always
+     attributed.  It should not ruin the commercial value of the
+     work (which is why reproduction of the entire work is
+     generally verboten.)
+
+     5) If you don't defend your copyright you lose it.
+
+     False.  Copyright is *never* lost now, unless explicitly
+     given away.  You may be thinking of trade marks, which can
+     be weakened or lost if not defended.
+
+     6) Somebody has that name copyrighted!
+
+     You can't copyright a name, or anything short like that.
+     Titles usually don't qualify, but I doubt you could write a
+     song entitled "Everybody's got something to hide except for
+     me and my monkey."
+
+     However, you can trademark an adjective, when applied to a
+     generic type of product or service.  Like an "Apple"
+     computer.  Apple Computer owns that word applied to
+     computers, even though it is also an ordinary word.  Apple
+     records owns it when applied to music.  Neither owns the
+     word on its own, only in context.
+
+     You can't use somebody else's trademark in a way that would
+     unfairly hurt the value of the mark, or in a way that might
+     make people confuse you with the real owner of the mark, or
+     which might allow you to profit from the mark's good name.
+     For example, if I were giving advice on music videos, I
+     would be very wary of trying to label my works with a name
+     like "mtv."  :-)
+
+     7) They can't get me, I'm innocent until proven guilty.
+
+     Copyright law is mostly civil law.  If you violate copyright
+     you would usually get sued, not charged with a crime.
+     "Innocent until proven guilty" is a principle of criminal
+     law, as is "proof beyond a reasonable doubt."  Sorry, but in
+     copyright suits, these don't apply.  It's mostly which side
+     the judge or jury believes more.
+
+     8) Oh, so copyright violation isn't a crime or anything?
+
+     Actually, recently in the USA commercial copyright
+     violations involving more than 10 copies and/or value over
+     $2500 was made a felony.  So watch out.  (At least you get
+     the protections of criminal law.)
+
+     9) It doesn't hurt anybody, in fact it's free advertising.
+
+     It's up to the owner to decide if they want the free ads or
+     not.  If they want them, they will be sure to contact you.
+     Don't rationalize whether it hurts the owner or not, *ask*
+     them.  Usually that's not too hard to do.  Time past,
+     ClariNet published the very funny Dave Barry column to a
+     large and appreciative USENET audience for a fee, but some
+     jerk didn't ask, and forwarded it to a mailing list, got
+     caught, and the newspaper chain that employs Dave Barry
+     pulled the column from the net, pissing off everybody who
+     enjoyed it.  Even if you can't think of how the author or
+     owner gets hurt, think about the fact that piracy on the net
+     hurts everybody who wants a chance to use this wonderful new
+     technology to do more than read other people's flamewars.
+
+     10) They e-mailed me a copy, so I can post it.
+
+     To have a copy is not to have the copyright.  All the E-mail
+     you write is copyrighted.  However, E-mail is not, unless
+     previously agreed, secret.  So you can certainly *report* on
+     what E-mail you are sent, and reveal what it says.  You can
+     even quote parts of it to demonstrate.  Frankly, somebody
+     who sues over an ordinary message might well lose, because
+     the message has no commercial value, but if you want to stay
+     strictly in the law, you should ask first.
+
+           Permission is granted to freely copy this
+           document in electronic form, or to print for
+           personal use.  If you had not seen a notice
+           like this on the document, you would have to
+           assume you did not have permission to copy it.
+           This document is still protected by you know
+           what even though it has no copyright notice.
+--
--
JOHN MINOR
UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS