Journal and Newsletter Articles

Steve Brady sbrady@u.washington.edu
Fri, 02 Dec 1994 20:27:53 -0800 (PST)

Dennis,
Yes, I'm sorry I wasn't more detailed in my announcement. I certainly
have no intention of embarrassing anyone, and I did plan on contacting
authors to ask if they have anything to add or subtract from whatever
they wrote. I hope people will continue to comment freely, without fear
that their words may show up somewhere else in disfigured form!

On Fri, 2
Dec 1994, Dennis Johnson wrote:

>         I think it is safe to say that everone agrees this e-mail dialogue
> could be valuable source for Chapter Newsletter and/or Journal entries.  I
> would like to suggest that if and when some editor finds a significant
> passage worthy of use elsewhere in print that he/she sends that particular
> author a note to that effect (PRIVATELY PLEASE).  Not necessarly as a
> matter for approval but simply to give that author a chance to double check
> their piece before it is further distributed in print in a format that is
> necessarly out of context.  We all have sent something and latter wished
> maybe one word could be changed.  If I were an editor I would not consider
> printing a signficant passage (more than a mere statement) of someone
> else's without sending them a quick note (PRIVATELY) to confirm its
> accuracy. This Cutting and Pasting feature will eliminate many past
> problems, but I have seen some of my own things in Newsletters which
> somehow grew serious errors and typos.  I hope that I am not alone in this
> opinion, and considering that this whole process would involve no more than
> a minute or two of extra time it should not delay that particular edition.
>

> Dennis Johnson
> johnsond@stolaf.edu

Steve Brady, RPT        "The most expert and rapid tuners are...
University of Washington       possessed of a highly excitable,
sbrady@u.washington.edu        nervous, and emotional temperament,
                         verging on the border of insanity at times."
                              -Daniel Spillane, The Tuner's Guide