Journal and Newsletter Articles

Dennis Johnson johnsond@stolaf.edu
Fri, 02 Dec 1994 16:10:04 -0600

        I think it is safe to say that everone agrees this e-mail dialogue
could be valuable source for Chapter Newsletter and/or Journal entries.  I
would like to suggest that if and when some editor finds a significant
passage worthy of use elsewhere in print that he/she sends that particular
author a note to that effect (PRIVATELY PLEASE).  Not necessarly as a
matter for approval but simply to give that author a chance to double check
their piece before it is further distributed in print in a format that is
necessarly out of context.  We all have sent something and latter wished
maybe one word could be changed.  If I were an editor I would not consider
printing a signficant passage (more than a mere statement) of someone
else's without sending them a quick note (PRIVATELY) to confirm its
accuracy. This Cutting and Pasting feature will eliminate many past
problems, but I have seen some of my own things in Newsletters which
somehow grew serious errors and typos.  I hope that I am not alone in this
opinion, and considering that this whole process would involve no more than
a minute or two of extra time it should not delay that particular edition.

Dennis Johnson
johnsond@stolaf.edu