Baldwin Termination Bars, H. Conklin

Ron Torrella torrella@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Thu, 01 Dec 1994 23:00:58 -0600

Does anyone know if Baldwin Fs are supposed to have this "termination
bar" in them and, if so, including which years?  I have a customer with that
model and it appears to have something like what Conklin describes.  This
particular piano has *horrible* zinging noises in the second section
down from the top.  How am I supposed to eliminate the noise?  Turn that
thing that looks like a screw on the speaking side of the capo bar?

Another Baldwin related question:  That same piano's bridge in the top
two sections is splitting like mad at the bridge pins.  It appears that
Baldwin used vertical-laminate bridge material.  In order to repair this,
must I remove the entire bridge and start from scratch or can I route the
top down and recap it with maple and (probably) boxwood?  I've done
several bridge recaps with good results (whew!)--including a Baldwin F,
ironically--but they involved popping off cap material and gluing new
material in its place.  I'm guessing that, with careful calculation, I
can route this one down.  (Gosh!  I'm looking forward to cranking up all
those thousands of rpms and chewing up some wood!  Nnnn-yow-nnnn-yow!)

Ron Torrella                  "Dese are de conditions dat prevail."
School of Music                           --Jimmy Durante
University of Illinois