Directory of Electronic Addresses for Piano Technicians

Michael Wathen 556-9565 Michael.Wathen@UC.Edu
Thu, 04 Aug 1994 22:52:00 -0500 (EST)

John,

Please correct my name on your post about E-mail addresses.  My address should
read WATHENMJ@A1.BETA.UC.EDU.

By the way, since I have your ear, are you still on the CTE committee?  If so I
wish to change one of the rules regarding the setting of pitch.  I feel that the
candidate taking the electronic tuning test should be allowed to set his or her
pitch using the electronic device whatever it may be.  At present they are
required to remove all electronic devices from the room for the "tuning Aurally
section".  In essence they must use a tuning fork.

The reality of the situation is that good tuning forks are no longer
manufactured.  The ones that are still available are two small (hence subject to
fluctuation from temperature) or they are the massive aluminum forks that
fluctuate wildly with very little handling.

In fact I believe that there are a lot of electronic pitch sources available
which are as a group far more accurate and less subject to changes due to
temperature than any of the forks that were ever made. This is due the chip
technology revolution that has occurred over the last ten years or so.  If
anyone were to ask me I would recommend something like one of those Korg Tuners.
They are very accurate.  They either work correctly or they don't work at all.

These tuners have nothing mechanical about them which is why they work or they
don't work.  The basic model is a quartz crystal which has the property of
vibrating at a constant rate and a rate that is (I don't remember maybe 97 khz)
relatively fast.  Then there is some kind of microprocessor which is able to
count and make a comparison to some other oscillator such as one that might be
sensitive to sound pressure (microphone).  The quartz vibrates at this energy
level without deviating over a wide temperature range.  If the temperature has
changed enough to effect the quartz then you had better head for shelter!  This
is due to the quantum behavior of the crystal.

All in all I think we should join the twenty-first century and forget about
forks.

Michael J. Wathen, RPT, CTE
College-Conservatory of Music
Cincinnati