[CAUT] Fwd: Mason & Hamlin soundboard model with tuning fork

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Wed May 23 14:41:18 MDT 2012

On 5/23/2012 7:48 AM, Euphonious Thumpe wrote:

> Should it not be remembered that the M&H turnbuckle device does not
> CREATE crown ( that is done during board construction) but rather is
> intended to merely preserve it (in all planes, even if ever so slight)
> by preventing "case spread"?

It doesn't do that either. When a crowned rib and soundboard assembly,
or model, is perimeter supported and loaded in the middle of the rib,
the rib ends pull in rather than pushing out. It's not an arch, which
anyone could have easily demonstrated at any time in the last hundred
years or so exactly as I did by actually trying it instead of sitting
around speculating. So the M&H crown retention devise doesn't retain
crown. Try it for yourself and see.

> Could not the value of the M&H device be simply demonstrated by
> temporarily removing one, and making a scientific before/after
> analyzation of tone? ( In same RH, temperature, barometric pressure and
> etc..)

Again, trying it and finding out is apparently too simple when
speculation can be nursed along virtually forever.
Ron N