[CAUT] Fwd: Mason & Hamlin soundboard model with tuning fork

Euphonious Thumpe lclgcnp at yahoo.com
Wed May 23 06:48:37 MDT 2012

   I'm "chiming in" on this now because I failed to, previously, and ran across it while deleting emails...

   Should it not be remembered that the M&H turnbuckle device does not CREATE crown ( that is done during board construction) but rather is intended to merely preserve it (in all planes, even if ever so slight) by preventing "case spread"?
   Would those who are so critical of the efficacy of this device ( and the very importance of crown ) also fully explain to us, please, why they impart crown, at all, in their own board designs? (Yes, I belive it has been well explained as "for stiffness" -- but perhaps the "spider" assists in this, and serves another function also - such as in transferral of vibration equitably from one part of the case to another, and consequently back to the board, helping to create the M&H's nearly unique, signature, resonance.)
   Could not the value of the M&H device be simply demonstrated by temporarily removing one, and making a scientific before/after analyzation of tone? ( In same RH, temperature, barometric pressure and etc..)

Most Respectfully,
Thumpe