[CAUT] Digital recorder

McNeilTom at aol.com McNeilTom at aol.com
Mon Mar 5 10:03:54 MST 2012

Hi, Bill and Dale (and David) -

I, too have been using the H2.  About a year and a half now, in a  variety
of situations with and without piano, etc.  It really is  astonishingly good
as a portable hand-held recorder.  Also very easy to  transfer recorded
files to your computer where you can manipulate them to your  heart's content.

There is one shortcoming to this and most similar recorders.   You'll be
using the internal microphones.  In the case of the H2, these are  very good -
no complaints at all - and there are four of them so you have  three usable
arrays:  90-degree stereo pair, 120-degree stereo pair in  the opposite
direction, or both combined for a decent 4-channel surround  sound.  You can
plug in a remote mic, or stereo pair, using the provided  mini-TRS connector.
However, I've found this quite unsatisfactory; just  not mechanically
sturdy enough; and you'll have to do some 'adapting' to get any  pro mics to this
configuration.  So, if you'll be using the recorder as  intended, as a
stand-alone portable unit, it will be great.  If remote mics  are any part of
your plan, do yourself a favor and get one of the (generally  more expensive)
units with real XLR mic connectors.

Happy recording!

~ Tom McNeil  ~
Vermont Piano Restorations

In a message dated 3/5/2012 10:43:55 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,