[CAUT] St. D Aliquot bar specs

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sat Jul 14 16:10:39 MDT 2012

On 7/14/2012 4:35 PM, Dr. Henry Nicolaides wrote:
> It is my understanding that the Steinway aliquot is not designed to give
> any specific frequency but give rise to random   sympathetic vibration.
>   I have checked this trying to "tune" the aliquoit with some degree of
> frustration.  Maybe someone else can clear up this mystery.
> Henry Nicolaides
> Piano Technician, southern Illinois University

As has been discussed on Pianotech many times through the years, it
doesn't much matter where you put them. Unlike front duplexes, there is
no direct energy transfer between speaking lengths and rear duplexes, so
there is no meaningful pitch or length relationship between them. Among
those who have tried to tune rear duplexes to some specific relationship
to corresponding speaking lengths, those who have something to sell tend
to hear a difference, and those hoping to hear improvement tend not to.

>  > From: rkloomis at earthlink.net
>  > Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2012 13:48:21 -0400
>  > To: caut at ptg.org
>  > Subject: [CAUT] St. D Aliquot bar specs
>  >
>  > Greetings All,
>  >
>  > I'm looking for specs for setting the distance of aliquot bars on
> Steinway D's made in the 70s and 80s and current models with the new
> plate castings, specifically numbers/measurements for notes B5 and C6.
> The reference manual does not give these specs.
>  > Does anyone have specs that give note or frequency rather than distance?
>  > Thanks-
>  > Rob Loomis, RPT

Style D
Note# 37  7 5/8 	193.7
Note# 53  3 7/32	81.8
Note# 54  3 1/16	77.8
Note# 71  2 9/16	65.1
Note# 72  3 1/4 	82.6
Note# 88  1 31/32	50.0

No telling what the format will turn into, but here's what I have.

Out of curiosity, what's up? Are you trying to make tonal improvements?
Ron N