[CAUT] S&S M Strike point

Dale Erwin erwinspiano at aol.com
Wed Dec 26 11:53:59 MST 2012

Hi Ed
  I recall this discussion before and I've given thought to this method.
   Considering that it does appear that the hammers/shanks on ancient Steinways & others  seem to over center a bit, perhaps your method is what they were using. SInce the hammers bored your way hit the strings at 90 to the string plane instead of the keybed, these actions under that scenario only appear to be over centering . If we are taking the string height minus the center pin height they're percieved to be correct with the keybed but to the string plane...undercentering .
   Since there is often a certain amount upward string slope towards the rear of the piano the perceived over centering could vary depending on that degree of angle. Boring hammers your  way may  allow for  a straight or straighter strike line.
 Hmmm is that straight?
I'll experiment on the next N.Y. Stwy and see how it turn out. Ed do you hang curved strike lines even with this method?

Dale Erwin R.P.T.
Erwin's Piano Restoration Inc.
 Mason & Hamlin/Steinway/U.S. pianos
www.Erwinspiano.com