[CAUT] Fwd: S&S M Strike point

Dale Erwin erwinspiano at aol.com
Sun Dec 23 13:52:20 MST 2012

Subject: Re: [CAUT] S&S M Strike point

I personally do not subscribe to this making the bore distance longer than needed. Historically its quite plain that many makers      allowed the actions they built to over strike somewhat  and sometime by a considerable measure. I believe it was done for action geometry considerations. If a hammers is bored long it moves the shank, closer to the backcheck,rest cushion,capstan and every    regulation screw lower in position  which is not  always desirable. The worst thing is changing the capstan wippen interface  andcan move the entire circle of movement so that the optimal capstan/wippen heel interface position is really far from the "magic line"
 This can results in an  action that is too  heavy and inertial feeling, especially if the hammer weight is too heavy.
 Also,...FWIW  I've posted many times before hanging the hammers in a straight line in any Steinway model (prior to the plate changes in the 1990s)will result in less than optimal sustain and power and... reduces clarity and tone color with the shift engaged.
Dale
Also, I bore the hammer molding so the hammer understrikes slightly when

new.  If the hammer shank, at 90 degrees, is level with the key bed and the
strike point is touching the strings - I move the shank hole 1/16" closer to
the tail to cause that slight understrike.  This is because the hammer gets
shorter over its life time and I want, for most of the hammer's life, to
have it strike top-dead-center.
ari isaac

Dale Erwin R.P.T.
Erwin's Piano Restoration Inc.