[CAUT] Leather Key bushings

Fortenberry, Kevin kevin.fortenberry at ttu.edu
Fri Sep 2 12:24:03 MDT 2011

Thanks much Roger and Dale, I think I am understanding pretty well. I would just order the leather from Jurgen if I did decide to pursue this. It sounds like using leather on the balance rail is as far as one can go with it the real world, correct?  (And Teflon powder on the bushings--maybe some Mclube 444 dry film on the pins-assuming the pins are nicely polished first). After measuring my aluminum cauls and a sample pin, looks like they would be just about perfect as long as I am carful with choosing the right leather thinkness.

Thanks again, Kevin

Hi Kevin,
                  The cauls should be all that you need, with very little
squeezing of the bushing to get a good fit.
  I notice Dale likes tan side to the pin. that may be great in the
California climate, but in our neck of the woods it's squeaks in our very
dry winters. The beauty of leather is that it's stable with weather
changes, and you can't easily shrink it, if you use alchohol/water, the
leather will dry out very hard, so don't even try.
  Order enough 1.1mm to test, and then go up or down in size to suit your
needs.  You should shoot for 0.002" larger than the pins for your cauls.
With regards to various supplies, the uniform thickness of the product
Jurgen sells, makes for an easy job.

Leather does not fold over for a tight corner fit, in the same manner as
bushing cloth.  Another reason I do not care for it on the front rails.

I've done dozens of keyboards in the manner I described, and leather bush
all my rebuild work.

Regards Roger