[CAUT] making history

Laurence Libin lelibin at optonline.net
Mon Feb 21 07:14:20 MST 2011

Bill points to a serious problem: how best to preserve the fast-evaporating heritage of the piano in America. For example, Kalman Detrich's collection was dispersed after his death because he made no provision for it, so his effort was mostly wasted. Past and current piano manufactureres have done a lousy job of organizing and preserving their records--much of Steinway's material, for instance, is lost or widely scattered--and what has been saved isn't easily accessible. Only now is Allen Wright doing brilliant research on Steinway's London factory, which hardly anyone else knows about. All this is important not just for history generally, but also because piano builders and techs a hundred years ago had answers to many practical questions that keep appearing in this forum. And as interest in the piano's development continues to grow among performers, irreplaceable evidence is being lost for lack of a place to keep it and even inability to recognize it. This isn't just an abstract academic issue; your profession needs all the ammunition it can gather to promote its aims in the face of increasing public indifference. American organ builders and organ historians, far fewer in number, have done a much better job (see www.organsociety.org).
Laurence