[CAUT] Steinway D Belly Work

David Skolnik davidskolnik at optonline.net
Fri Dec 16 20:21:10 MST 2011

Denis -
With all due respect, what, exactly, are you expecting in response to
this question?  Yes, it seems reasonable  to ask whether Restoration
handles belly work the same way as the factory does.  You
could/should pose that question directly to Steinway.  Ask what the
differences are?  Press?  Belly man?  Then, assuming you believe what
you are told (I'm not saying there's any reason to believe
otherwise), you have your answer.  You still might want to explain
your thinking, or that of your institutional client, more
fully.  What is it you assume/believe about having this work done by
anyone OTHER than Restoration?  Results?  Market
value?  Institutional politics?

You close with saying that you value peoples opinions.  The
methodology employed by Restoration would not be a matter of
opinion.  What would be, however, would be peoples preferences or
perception of results, and I doubt you would gain much useful
perspective along those lines in this open forum.   The ability to
provide a positive endorsement is a far simpler matter than the alternative.

David Skolnik
Hastings on Hudson, NY