[CAUT] Moving Grand Pianos Intra-Department

Dennis Johnson johnsond at stolaf.edu
Mon Dec 5 08:02:01 MST 2011

Hi-

We have an agreement with one of the movers from the city, about 30 miles
away, but that works since we have such a large moving expense budget.
It's an item of the budget we all dream of cutting back on but that's
unlikely to happen until we get a proper large concert hall.  As is, for
prominent concerts we are regularly moving pianos back and forth to the
chapel or the main gym.  Set up, tear down, storage, piano moving, etc...
are all huge consequences of not having a proper hall large enough for the
big ensembles.  Our facilities do set up and tear down of the portable
stage and move other equip such as raisers, but they do not touch pianos.
I'm ok helping or supervising move of an upright on the dolly or carrying
the harpsichord around the building as needed. Generally it's easy to get
those who benefit from the move to help so I'm not stuck with it alone.

good luck,

Dennis Johnson
St. Olaf College

On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 7:44 AM, Paul T Williams <pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu