[CAUT] Moving Grand Pianos Intra-Department

Paul Milesi paul at pmpiano.com
Sun Dec 4 14:23:06 MST 2011

We need to move a few grand pianos within our music department at school.
No stairs are involved, just breaking down, relocating via dolly and
elevator, and setting up again.  In the past, the department has used
outside professional piano movers, both from a dealer and independent.

I have suggested that this is not cost-effective, and indeed we now don't
have the money for imminent required moves.  I have previously put forth the
idea of using either students or physical plant/maintenance staff.  Of
course the student idea was shot down because of liability issues.  But what
about maintenance staff?  Although I am not a piano mover per se, I've
probably witnessed enough moves and stood by insisting on removal of the
lyre, etc. to be able to instruct and provide guidance to those with the
brawn I lack.

What do those on the list think?  How do your schools move pianos
internally, and what is your personal involvement?  Do you supervise or
instruct/teach proper moving techniques?  At $250 for one standard move, it
seems to me that a change in policy here could save our department literally
thousands of dollars.

While we're on the moving topic: Do you yourselves ever move uprights, or
lend a hand positioning pianos on a recital stage or in a studio?  Just
curious.

Paul Milesi RPT
Washington DC
(202) 246-3136 Cell/Text