[CAUT] Lanolin

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Mon Sep 20 19:44:50 MDT 2010

	Going back to the subject of my initial post on lanolin, my purpose
in trying it was to make hammers easier to voice. I also have noticed
that it has a mellowing effect on the voicing by itself, but I am more
impressed by its effect on "voiceability."
	Today I dosed a Pearl River 125 upright (49-50" Yamaha clone). It did
take some of the nasty edge off the hammers, and perhaps a few days
would have made the difference more. But for me, the main thing was
that I was able to put the action on the bench and deep needle, 10-11
mm, with a reasonable amount of effort and with very positive results.
The hammers weren't "rocks," but I sure wasn't looking forward to
trying to penetrate them, and preliminary trial insertions of needles
were painful (very hard to get all the way in, hard to pull back out).
Following the lanolin, they felt nice for densely pressed felt. I
needed to use two instead of three needles, but it was a moderate
workout for the forearm muscles, not a struggle.
Regards,
Fred