[CAUT] loan programs

Dr. Henry Nicolaides drsnic4 at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 31 22:50:09 MDT 2010

I think loan programs are common with other industries and manufacturers.  This gives them an opportunity to expose their product to a target audience and is considered a long term marketing strategy.  It benefits the college as well as the manufacturer.  Problems are encountered when the college depends too much on loans and does not have enough of their own inventory.  I for one would be interested in what you have learned.  Though we have a good inventory of studio and performance pianos our practice rooms are sadly in need of replacement pianos.  Not that all of the studio pianos are new, some needing rebuilding, they are keepers.  Budgets being what they are, if you are fortunate to have a budget, loaner programs serve a useful purpose.

Henry Nicolaides
Piano Technician, School of Music
Southern Illinois University