[CAUT] recital policy

Jeff Tanner tannertuner at bellsouth.net
Wed Mar 31 11:33:10 MDT 2010

I was never required to be present for recitals. I was asked to remain on site during piano festivals, but that was during normal work hours. Never once in 10 years was my presence needed for the "unthinkable".  Once, back when at UGA, I hung around til intermission and touched up unisons for a Marcus Roberts performance, but that was almost pointless.  Doing touchups doesn't make much sense. Either the piano will have held well or will need a complete retuning from temperature changes.

Besides, with schools understaffing the workload as they do, asking a tech to be on the clock for recitals means he/she has to cut time available for the rest of the inventory. Just doesn't make very good sense from an efficiency and productivity standpoint.

And, I could comment that your family time is worth a heck of a lot more than your hourly salary, too. I'd want a heck of a lot bigger salary if they were going to require me to be there at beckon call any time of day.

Jeff Tanner