[CAUT] The fundamental - Where is it?

Donald McKechnie dmckech at ithaca.edu
Mon Mar 29 08:31:05 MDT 2010

Thanks Fred, I'll look for this book.

For anyone - would a good spectrum analyzer find the A0 fundamental?
At least on a concert grand? Years ago Chris Robinson brought a
spectrum analyzer to conventions for one of his classes but I do not
remember if he used it to look at the lowest notes. Quite pricey as I
recall.

Don

> From: Fred Sturm <fssturm at unm.edu>
> Date: March 26, 2010 3:13:23 PM EDT
> To: caut at ptg.org
> Subject: Re: [CAUT] The fundamental - Where is it?
>

> Fletcher and Rossing "The Physics of Musical Instruments" 1991
> Springer-Verlag seems to show that the board will produce
> fundamentals, at least at first glance. Some charts in the chapter
> on the piano show the frequencies of as low as A0 having amplitude,
> including a test using a driver (as opposed to the string). That is
> on a quick look, and I have to dash just now.
> Regards,
> Fred Sturm

Donald McKechnie
Piano Technician