[CAUT] The fundamental - Where is it?

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Fri Mar 26 12:41:19 MDT 2010

Of course you can hear the fundamental.  But the strength of the fundamental
relative to the upper partials will depend on the string scale and the
soundboard design.  Higher tension and/or thicker core wires (stiffer
scaling) will tend to enhance the upper partials at the expense of the
fundamental.  Cantilevered bridges tend to filter out the low fundamentals
as will short backscales.  So pianos with .063" core wire at Ao,
cantilevered bridges and very short backscales tend to produce very weak
fundamentals and strong upper partials.  Since those upper partials tend to
get sucked up by the board quickly it leaves a sound fairly devoid of pitch
recognition.   Overly stiff soundboards in the low bass will also tend to
enhance the development of upper partials at the expense of the fundamental.

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com