[CAUT] Appropriate Piano for Small Recital Hall

Paul Milesi, RPT paul at pmpiano.com
Thu Mar 25 00:55:40 MDT 2010

Thanks to all who have replied so far.  Additional discussion/input still
welcome, of course.

Fred's insight below, though, is correct.  Basically we are faced with
taking this opportunity to grab the D NOW, or living with the C5 as our only
performance-level piano (perhaps with new HS&Fs as suggested -- we're
considering that, too), for a very long time to come.

As a pianist, my inclination was of course to grab the D, but one or two of
the piano faculty are somewhat reluctant, in part because of the condition
of the D.  But they are not good at visualizing ("aurally" and physical
aesthetics of touch, etc.) the possibilities.  Unfortunately, I find even
most pianists have limited imaginations when it comes to envisioning the
possibilities for a piano.  Myself, I've always had a sense of what might
be, even long before becoming a technician.  Anyway...
--
Paul Milesi
Registered Piano Technician (RPT)
E-mail:  paul at pmpiano.com