[CAUT] Keith Kirchoff

David Skolnik davidskolnik at optonline.net
Mon Mar 22 11:07:32 MDT 2010

Perhaps it's relevant to keep in mind the public nature of this
list.  While we don't operate under the same narrow legal parameters
as  an institutional Personnel Department in terms of what
information they are allowed to reveal, there are likely some legal,
but more importantly, ethical (and list cultural) guidelines that
should temper the nature of negative comments.  If it's acceptable to
wax eloquently about one's experience of a particular individual, it
ought to be within bounds for someone else to contribute their own
experiences, even if less complementary.  What should probably
determine the decision is whether the information is 1st hand, 2nd
hand, or hearsay, the latter of which should be either avoided or
clearly identified as such.

For the most part, Cowell seems to have escaped most of the
responsibility for this musical assault (a description, not a
judgement).  What were the composer's dynamic instructions, and was
Kirchoff accurately observing them? exceeding them?  or perhaps
holding back?  the horror!  the horror!

As per Kent's comment:
>As it turns out, he is as abusive of people (me, that is) as he is of pianos
I hope he is healing well and able to return to work soon. {-}

David Skolnik
Hastings on Hudson, NY