[CAUT] Yamaha CFIIIS

Dempsey Jr., Paul E dempsey at marshall.edu
Mon Mar 22 10:04:53 MDT 2010

All,

We have a Yamaha CFIIIS that was purchased in 2004. When it arrived, everyone, and I mean everyone (Students, faculty, and guests), forsook the 42 year old Steinway D that it shares the stage with in favor of the new, "shiny" piano.

Slowly but surely they all came back to the Steinway. Reasons varied, but the common thread was that the Yamaha lacked the power of the S&S, and had no "personality" so the CFIII was orphaned  in favor of the D. A tech from Yamaha visited and spent two days with the piano but everyone still goes with the old piano.

So, we are in spring break and I have some time to devote to the Yamaha-reshape hammers, reg and lube, mate strings and voice. You know the drill.

I am noticing that the hammers are hung with a slight distal angle (about 3 degrees)

Is this normal for the CFIII? Also, looking at the string impressions in the strike point (they aren't too bad really), it appears that the hammers are very slightly over centering.

Is the 3 degree bore angle correct? I guess I need to confirm the proper bore distance too. There is no $$$ for new hammers.

Thoughts?

Paul E. Dempsey, RPT
Piano Technician Sr.
Marshall University