[CAUT] Piano Cuneiform

Jeff Tanner tannertuner at bellsouth.net
Sat Mar 20 10:25:59 MDT 2010

There is a Steinway factory tour movie called "Note By Note" (www.notebynotethemovie.com) which includes interviews with factory workers. They spend quite a long time with one of the voicers, who also pulled out a tuning hammer from time to time. He'd play a bit, tune a bit and voice a bit, then play some more. Any employer who has an employee who builds a large toolbox full of skills risks losing that employee to higher paying private work, and f/t university caut work is a prime example. But seeing this video makes me think that the urban legend you refer to is just a myth, as are many urban legends related to Steinway that tend to be generated by competition or otherwise disgruntled persons.
Jeff Tanner