[CAUT] Piano Storage Room

Diane Hofstetter dianepianotuner at msn.com
Tue Mar 16 01:53:05 MDT 2010

The manager of the new Rose Center at LCC is a wonderful young man; very
consciencious and very proud of their new Boesendorfer 290. He is anxious to do everything right for the piano, easy to get along with--can you tell I'm thrilled to work for him?

 We now have a full DC system with undercover and string cover and piano cover and piano "climate controlled" room.  We also have two dataloggers reading every 1/2 hour.  One lies on top of the piano, the other inside, underneath the string cover.

 Robert's first revelation was that he didn't need to take temp. and RH readings every minute!  Next was that the graph from the datalogger lying on top of the piano showed quite large temp & humidity swings.  The building engineer told him he didn't need all that system in the piano--the room was climate controlled.  He was delighted to be able to show him the actual readings.

We have been reading data for about two months now.  The string cover only went on last week.  I tuned it after installing the string cover and was pleased to see that it was the closest to pitch that it has been since it was delivered in June 2008.  What a relief!  I was chasing that pitch all over from way sharp to quite flat.

It will be interesting to follow the results of our efforts.  Not only are we measuring the temp and RH, but I am measuring and graphing every note of the tuning.

Diane Hofstetter

PS,  I wanted the string cover because sometimes the piano is left out at night when there are several performances during the weekend, and I'm hoping that I can put the string cover on overnight and minimize the swing.