[CAUT] Mythbusters

Kidwell, Ted W kidwellt at saclink.csus.edu
Fri Mar 12 17:18:33 MST 2010

Ulrich played very rapid mf chromatic runs to test the voicing. When a note stuck out to his ear he used the split felt mute for isolating individual strings and listening. He was able to do this remarkably quickly. He would then write one of his hieroglyphics on the key upstop rail. These noted which part of the hammer to needle and how much. For every pass he would wipe off the rail and start fresh.

You could try using this mute for tuning but my guess is it will pop out with a strong test blow.

Ted Kidwell, RPT
California State University, Sacramento
Capistrano Hall, rm. 153
6000 J Street