[CAUT] Mythbusters

Greg Granoff Gregory.Granoff at humboldt.edu
Wed Mar 10 12:02:27 MST 2010

He uses teflon tape backed strips of diamond grit paper only just as wide as
an individual hammer.
He begins with around 320 I think he said, graduates to maybe 600 if he
feels it necessary, and finishes off with 1200.  Obviously, the procedure
might eliminate the coarsest grit if it wasn't necessary to actually reshape
significantly. In the class, he began by making a very small change in the
shape of the hammer, eliminating a slight bulge in the shoulders facing the
keyboard that made a slightly asymmetrical look. He holds the strip against
the hammer shoulder to index the strip's horizontal angle for a straight
striking point.  Later, if he is fine mating hammers to strings, he has even
narrower strips to make the change he needs on one string position at a
time. He finds these problems with the method of lifting the hammer/shank to
the string with a hook, and plucking with a tapered hammer shank. He says he
never files through the strings for mating, since he is fanatical about
keeping the correct shape on the "nose" of the hammer, as he called it, and
his strip method lets him do this.

Greg