[CAUT] Material data safety sheets

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Fri Mar 5 14:13:37 MST 2010

Yes, you are right, it is unlikely anyone will notice - nobody is
likely to find me in this maze of a university. It is an OSHA
requirement, meaning it's federally enforced (against the employer),
"protecting us workers." We recently had a required on line training
requirement, including things like sexual harassment, ethics, and
workplace safety. And it was made pretty clear there that the
responsibility for obtaining these MDSDs is on the purchaser of the
items (according to the U anyway), and that it even included things
like, specifically, isopropyl alcohol. I have sort of known that all
along, and have just figured I'd stay under the radar, and that is
probably mostly what I'll do. But I did ask for sheets on McLube and
Protek and a couple other things from Pianotek.
	BTW, looking for a McLube 444 MDSD on line, I went to the
manufacturer McGee's site (mclube.com), and found that the vehicle is
n-Propyl Bromide, a substitute for ozone depleting chemicals that is,
as most of us have heard, pretty toxic. Not particularly flammable,
though, apparently.
	I checked our work safety website, and they don't seem to have a
subscription to an on line source.
Fred

Regards,
Fred Sturm