[CAUT] Piano Preferences

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Fri Mar 5 09:01:45 MST 2010

Each piano's tonal signature leans in a certain direction.  While there are
many similar design styles these days there are some distinctly different
ones as well. Voicing is really the last defense for an already existing
design or execution.  If you compare a Bosendorfer 225 and a Steinway B in
terms of design and construction it becomes pretty clear that one will never
sound like the other no matter what you do and that each has its
characteristic leaning based on scale design (high versus low tension),
soundboard design and manufacture (including plate and rim), and finally the
hammer choice dictated (hopefully) but the other two factors.

There are two ways to look at differences:  between different designs and
within the same design (i.e. between, say, two different Steinway Bs).  In
the case of Bosendorfer versus Steinway the different designs will not
likely have you confusing the tone of one with the other, at least not if
you're paying attention.  There are obviously differences that occur within
the same design that have more to do with execution, prep work, and
soundboard changes that take place over time or even from the factory.
Those factors that contribute to differences between two pianos of the same
design are different than the differences between two opposing designs.
Both of those issues (between and within differences) can also be topics for
the presentation and are worth noting.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com