[CAUT] Piano Preferences

Jim Busby jim_busby at byu.edu
Fri Mar 5 08:37:43 MST 2010

Jonathan.

Even in the S&S selection room there is a wide divergence of opinion as to which will sound best with this or that piece. Emmanuel Ax chose one of the most raucous, awful sounding pianos (to my ear) for a more contemporary work, yet chose a warm and not very powerful piano for another concert. David Love's approach is better, and Laurence Libin's insight is priceless! Both would be fascinating "talks". I agree with Ed on your question, but I understand where it's coming from because I get the same question all the time. While it's tempting to give a short answer just to get someone off the phone ("C7s for jazz and D's for classical...") it would essential deny that every manufacturer thinks that their pianos will fill any need.

Laurence, I hope you've kept a journal. I'd love to read your memoirs some day!

Jim Busby BYU