[CAUT] Loaner programs

Israel Stein custos3 at comcast.net
Wed Mar 3 23:05:52 MST 2010

Mon, 1 Mar 2010 08:45:58 -0600  Kent Swafford <kswafford at gmail.com>
> I've heard of a number of loaner programs that have ended in the current
> economic mess. (Loaner programs, meaning, dealers lending new pianos to
> institutions in exchange for a heavily promoted onsite sale of pianos to the
> public.)
>
> Have others of these programs ended? Do these programs continue as usual in
> some places?

Kent,

Our Yamaha loan program here at San Francisco State U. is continuing.
The dealer holds a sale here on campus in the first week of January when
classes are out - and has done well with it, even in the depths of the
recession. The School of Music and Dance gets 1% of the gross, and we
also get a deep discount on the instruments that we buy from him. He has
let us keep the grands for 2 years (just replaced them this year) and
the uprights indefinitely - as long as they don't sell (and he replaces
the ones that sell). So everyone is happy...

Israel Stein