[CAUT] Friday puzzler

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Mon Jun 28 07:41:29 MDT 2010

I removed one key lead and it now is working much better.

I still don't understand why it was working until I took off the stack and
then put it back on after raising the sharps a touch, checking the keys,
lubing the key bushing cloths and balance rail cloths, polishing the front
and bal. rail key pins, etc. You know, just general maintenance stuff.

There was and still is, no debris, no tight centers, capstans good and
polished (no burrs), wip cushions all good, hammers swing at 7, keys nice
and free, no tight balance holes, pins not catching on fronts or backs of
mortises, key dip remained at factory spec, key height factory specs (now
including the sharps :>) ), rep springs weren't gunked up and are as
strong as they should be, etc.

I will blame it on little piano gremlins!

Thanks for all the suggestions to check.  I learned a couple other things
to look for next time something is wrong.  I have 8,800 other keys to play
with!

Best,
Paul