[CAUT] Anechoic chamber - experiments

ed440 at mindspring.com ed440 at mindspring.com
Fri Jun 18 16:29:12 MDT 2010

Jim-

That's not my question.
If you play a major third and move your head around, it may beat very clearly in one place and very little in another.
Thus I am thinking of the ongoing argument about "beatless" octaves. Perhaps the beating varies depending on the location of the listening ear. If so, this should be fairly easy to detect in an anechoic chamber with the equipment you describe. This might explain why one person hears an octave as beatless and another person hears beats.
The best octaves to test would be mid-range octaves, where the inharmonicity is fairly well matched, not the extreme bass octaves.
Don't re-tune the octave, move the microphone to a new location.

Ed S.