[CAUT] Anechoic chamber - experiments

Jim Busby jim_busby at byu.edu
Fri Jun 18 16:14:09 MDT 2010

Hi Ed,

Rick Baldassin's book "On Pitch" has references to these but Rick told me that these were "not very scientific studies". Chris Robinson told me that he and Rick did these studies years ago and that they didn't save the studies. So, you're right. How much of the fundamental do we really hear at C1? Are Rick's graphs accurate? And I've always wanted to see how much a supposedly identical unison varies at the different partials. (Why no unison can be tuned perfectly pure...)

Thanks.
Jim

Perhaps you can do some mapping of octaves, in particular to see if there are vectors along which coincident partials beat with more or less amplitude, or, if you will, vectors for beatless octaves.
Same could be done for other intervals.
Like Don says, record what you find.
Ed Sutton